While there be launch games for both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S, the lineup is still pretty paltry (which wasn’t unexpected). That being said, launch games, backwards compatibility, and entertainment apps work together to make sure that new console owners have something to enjoy, and that includes apps like Apple TV being available on launch day on the PS5.
Sony’s Head of Global Partner Development and Relations Phil Rosenberg took to the official PlayStation Blog to discuss which entertainment apps would be available on launch day. In addition to the below apps, he also confirmed that Amazon Prime Video, MyCanal, Peacock, Hulu, and others would be joining the lineup at a different date:
- Enjoy Apple TV+, Apple TV channels, new and popular movies, and personalized, curated recommendations on the Apple TV app. That means users can enjoy Apple Originals like Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet, Ted Lasso, and The Morning Show through Apple TV+, subscribe to premium channels, and buy or rent movies and TV shows and access past purchases from Apple. The Apple TV app will also be available on PS4.
- The dedicated home for movies, shows, shorts, and originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. From original series like The Mandalorian, to fan favorites like The Simpsons, you can watch your favorite stories right from your PS5 console.
- Catch up on top entertainment hits such as Stranger Things, The Haunting of Bly Manor and more. With thousands of TV episodes and movies in Netflix’s library, there’s plenty to choose from.
- Listen while you play. Just as with PS4, users can play their favorite songs as background music in-game with Spotify. You can choose from more than 60 million songs while you’re battling bosses or roaming through an open-world adventure.
- With a deeply integrated Twitch experience on PS5, you can now watch or livestream your favorite gameplay and chat live about the best moments with fellow gamers throughout the many diverse and dynamic communities.
- Also integrated with PS5, you can broadcast and share your epic gameplay moments directly to your YouTube channel, or sit back and watch new and trending content shared from around the world.
With the Media Space feature in the PS5 UI, users won’t need to download any of these apps, they will already be available in the Media Space. This makes it easy to swap between gaming and watching and anything else PS5 owners want to do.
PlayStation 5 arrives on November 12. Are you excited for more than just gaming on the PS5? Sound off with your thoughts in the comment section below!
[Source: PlayStation Blog]